Sponsor our students
Student Bursary Programme
One of the most rewarding ways to support The Royal Ballet School is to sponsor our students and help them fulfil their dream to dance professionally.
Admission to the School is based on artistic merit and potential. Competition is fierce and every year hundreds of young dancers, from across the world, apply for one of its coveted places.
We aim never to turn away a talented dancer due to lack of financial means and rely on individuals, companies and grant-making trusts to support these exceptional young people.
87% of current Royal Ballet School students require financial assistance to attend the School, with one in six coming from families who earn less than £15,000 per annum and 40% from families with an annual income of under £40,000.
Where your sponsorship is most needed
Sponsorship is needed most by our international students in the Upper School. Our aim is for all our students to have the same opportunities so bursaries are means-tested and aligned with those awarded to our British students from the Department for Education’s Music and Dance Scheme.
Between 45 and 50 international students require bursaries every year and approximately £750,000 has to be raised annually to fund this programme. It is likely that this will rise to £1,000,000 following Brexit.
Sponsors are invited to support the Student Bursary Programme with donations from £5,000 upwards to a full bursary. A commitment of three years is requested where possible to support students throughout their time at the Upper School.
As a Student Sponsor:
Together with a small like-minded group, you will support a specific year of students in the Upper School. You will have the opportunity of getting to know these students and following their development as they progress through the School. You will be kept informed about your students and receive:
- Regular updates on what they have been doing and how they are progressing
- Opportunities to come and watch them in class and to meet them informally over lunch
- VIP tickets to all Royal Ballet School events where your students may be performing
- Receptions with the students and other supporters following events
- Tickets to the Summer Performances at Opera Holland Park and the VIP reception
- Priority booking for the Summer Performance at Royal Opera House (complimentary in Year 3)
- Encore the termly Royal Ballet School e-newsletter
- Grateful acknowledgement on The Royal Ballet School website and in its Annual Review
* additional opportunities are offered to sponsors at higher levels.