Enlighten is The Royal Ballet School’s series of webinars for dance teachers. Our webinars provide invaluable insight and information surrounding all aspects of dance teaching and learning.
Enlighten webinars are a unique opportunity to gain advice and support from our expert staff. They also draw on the School’s heritage and knowledge as a world leader in dance training and education.
These one-hour webinars cover a variety of informative topics ranging from the technical and artistic aspects of dance training and pedagogy through to business modelling and management.
Enlighten webinars are ideal for developing teachers’ CPD portfolio and are an excellent supplement to our Inspire series of seminars.
How are Enlighten webinars delivered?
Our expert tutors deliver each webinar at a variety of times to suit teachers worldwide.
Teachers can choose which webinars they would like to attend, creating their own programme best suited to their needs.
Enlighten will be delivered via Zoom and PowerPoint presentations. The tutors will then offer advice and support in relation to the topic discussed during a question and answer session at the end of each webinar.
Our webinars are capped at 20 participants to ensure integrity and quality of service.
How to book
Our Enlighten webinars are now sold out.
We look forward to releasing more Enlighten webinar topics in January 2021.
Full details will be made available on our website and sign up to our e-news to be the first to hear about new Enlighten webinars.
Below are some of the webinars that were available in Autumn 2020.
Positivity: how to create, develop and sustain a positive studio climate
Studio climate can indicate the extent of teacher expertise and the potential impact on student learning. This session highlights the impact that positivity can have on student learning, with factors affecting studio climate identified and considered. Varying influential factors surrounding relationships, expectations and beliefs are discussed with strategies provided to help ensure an effective learning climate for all.
- To highlight factors that are necessary for developing an effective learning environment
- To reflect on characteristics of behaviour that can influence positivity
- To identify the relationship between teacher expectations and student achievement
- To provide a selection of strategies in order to foster a positive studio climate.
A flexible approach to the teaching of dance within private dance schools
This session will highlight strategies for implementing a flexible approach to the teaching of dance within the private sector. The core values, necessary for delivering a holistic dance education will be discussed, and several aspects of business practice will be considered. Teachers will reflect upon their own business philosophy and operations in order to consider implementing any potential modifications.
- To determine the core values of delivering a holistic dance education
- To determine a suitable training programme that allows flexibility in delivery
- To highlight students’ learning needs, enabling their physical and artistic potential to be realised
- To identify a potential business philosophy and the relevant strategies required to deliver.
Reaching their potential: an overview of the skills required to achieve in dance
It is the integration of both nature and nurture that constitutes the elite performer. This session provides an introduction to the ingredients of successful performers and highlights possible reasons for skill fluctuation.
- To categorise skill learning into three interrelated domains
- To appreciate the range of skills within each domain
- To appreciate the reasons for skill fluctuation.
Effective motor learning for dancers: strategies for developing dance skills
As teachers we aim for our dancers not just to acquire a skill but to perform it with an increased level of proficiency, coordination, fluidity and accuracy. This session highlights teaching and learning strategies to increase effectiveness of skill learning within the studio.
- To highlight the essential stages in motor learning
- To consider the implications for the dance class
- To discuss possible strategies: try and test